By AtheneNet Local News Desk | 18 August 2026
A property company and its two directors have been ordered to pay a combined £21,807 after admitting waste offences linked to rubbish found in Aldborough Hall Nature Reserve.
The Redbridge Council prosecution followed a detailed investigation that began when residents reported a large fly-tip at the wildlife site. Officers traced evidence among the waste to a property in Fulham owned by RCGY Prop Ltd, based in High Road, Leyton.
Directors Hasan Yaman, 30, of Leyton, and Ruhui Chowdhury, 37, of Enfield, appeared alongside the company at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday 4 August. All three defendants pleaded guilty to two offences under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
Court penalties reach £21,807
Yaman was fined and ordered to pay a victim surcharge totalling £4,666. Chowdhury received the same total penalty.
RCGY Prop Ltd was fined and ordered to pay a victim surcharge and Redbridge Council’s costs, bringing the company’s bill to £12,475. The fines, surcharges and costs imposed on the three defendants totalled £21,807.
The offences concerned failures to take the required measures when managing waste, including preventing its escape or unlawful handling by others, and failing to comply with requirements to produce waste transfer notes.

The case centred on the responsibilities attached to waste from the Fulham property. According to the council, RCGY Prop Ltd and its directors failed to demonstrate how that waste had been disposed of or what steps they had taken to ensure it was handled safely and securely.
Community report opened the evidence trail
Redbridge’s Neighbourhood Enforcement Team was alerted by members of the local community. At Aldborough Hall Nature Reserve on Painters Road in Ilford, officers encountered several piles of construction debris and bulky household waste.
The items included mattresses, rugs, a large sofa, carpet underlay, soil inside commercial waste bags labelled by Hammersmith and Fulham Council, and filled white builders’ bags. A suitcase contained books, letters and old tenancy documents.
An enforcement officer spent several days examining the material and following separate lines of inquiry. Evidence recovered from the dumped items eventually led investigators to the Fulham property, which had been purchased by RCGY Prop Ltd, and provided links to the company, Yaman and Chowdhury.
The route from a resident’s initial report to documents found inside the waste shows why discarded paperwork and other identifiable material can become central to an enforcement investigation.
Waste left beside a valued wildlife site
Aldborough Hall Nature Reserve forms an extension of Fairlop Waters Country Park. The council said dumping at the site risks damaging the environment and harming wildlife while undermining residents who help care for the borough’s parks and open spaces.

Councillor Sunny Brar, Redbridge’s cabinet member for enforcement, community safety and cohesion, described the dumping of waste in a nature reserve as a “disgraceful act”. He said the prosecution demonstrated that the borough would use legal action against those responsible for environmental damage.
Brar also credited the case to the enforcement officer’s examination of the waste and the work required to piece together evidence from multiple sources.
Businesses warned to document lawful disposal
The prosecution is a warning to businesses that responsibility for waste does not end when rubbish leaves a property. Companies must be able to account for its disposal, take measures to ensure it is handled safely and comply with waste transfer note requirements.
RCGY Prop Ltd and its directors are not the only defendants prosecuted in connection with waste discovered at the reserve. An unrelated dry-cleaning business and its director were prosecuted over similar offences in May. Separate investigations into other material found at the site remain under way and are not connected to either case.
Residents can report fly-tips through Redbridge Council’s Report It service or the Love Clean Streets app. Photographs, descriptions and evidence identifying perpetrators or vehicles can also be submitted to support an investigation.
The council says every reported fly-tip is recorded and investigated, with enforcement action taken when evidence is available. Its stated target is to clear recorded fly-tips from council land and highways within 24 hours of receiving a report.
Source: Redbridge Council
Context & actions About this article
Source check Source trail
AtheneNet checked the penalties, charges, evidence trail and reporting guidance against Redbridge Council’s published account.
- Matched the individual and company penalties to the stated combined total of £21,807.
- Confirmed that all three defendants pleaded guilty at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on 4...
- Distinguished the waste-management offences from the council’s wider fly-tipping warning.
- Checked that the earlier prosecution and continuing investigations were described as unrel...
- Source
- Redbridge Council
- Scope
- London Borough of Redbridge
- Updated
- 2026-08-18 19:20
Source check
Report a trust issue
Send a clear signal to community moderation if the source, facts or context need review.
Comments